Although there are many different types of pies, apple pie is always going to be a crowd pleaser. The combination of flavors, along with the perfect crust, makes it a treat that is quite difficult to resist. If you are someone who craves apple pie, you are going to flip over this recipe.
These apple pie cookies are everything you would expect from the full size pie in miniature version. They are simply bursting with flavor and, although it would seem that you slaved over a stove to make them, they really are quite simple. Try them and you will love what they bring to the table.
A package of two pre-made pie crusts
About half a can of apple pie filling (one cup or so; feel free to use homemade filling)
Coarse sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare two large baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
2) Spoon the apple pie filling onto the center of a large cutting board and use a knife to coarsely chop the filling, so that the apple pieces are about 1/2-inch in size.
3) Roll out one of the crusts on the counter or a large cutting board. Dot the crust with heaping teaspoonfuls of the filling, spaced a couple inches apart. You should be able to fit around 10 cookies onto the pie crust.
4) Use your fingers or a pastry brush to moisten the spaces between the filling with water. This will help the second layer of dough stick.
5) Gently place the second pie crust over the one dotted with filling. Press down between the dots of filling, starting in the middle and working outward, to seal.
6) Use a cookie or biscuit cutter, around 2-3 inches in size, to cut out the mini pies. Don’t worry if they don’t align exactly — you’ll be able to make small adjustments and trims in the next step.
7) Use the tines of a fork to firmly seal up the edges of the mini pies. Trim and even the edges, if necessary.
8) Whisk together the egg with two tablespoons of water. Brush the top of the pies with this mixture, then sprinkle with coarse sugar, if using.
9) Cut a small x into the center of each pie.
10) Transfer cookies to baking sheets, spacing an inch or two apart. Bake until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Cool slightly or completely before serving warm or at room temperature.